Saturday, June 2, 2012

Yesterday I had an outpatient appointment at Waldo County hospital for a blood draw and 2ml of vincristine. I am going in today for 2 units of blood, as my hemoglobin count is low. My platelets look good and my white blood cell count is lower (which is good, since that is the part that has the cancer). It does mean that my immune system is going to be more and more compromised as the treatments go on, so I need to be careful of infection. We are taking good precautions.

I also had a good time yesterday at Scott's birthday party - a low-key affair with some of my best friends. Great food, and it was so nice to see everyone. I was pretty wiped out by the end, what with also going in for the appointment yesterday - it was a big day for me. Becky drove home while I napped, and I slept very well last night and feel quite good this morning, so it was totally worth it.

My energy seems to be climbing for the first time since I went in on May 21st. I am still sleeping most of the day, but when I get up, I do not feel completely wiped out, and am able to do up some dishes, read a bit, and go for a little walk. My doctor recommends that I try to exercise. I am currently looking for an exercise regime that is doable, but will not push me too hard. I tend to push myself in that regard, and I am not yet sure what is safe. I hope that I will be able to do some easy kayaking once the swelling of my spleen goes down.

For those of you that care, my current daily pills are:
300mg Allopurinol
40mg Famotidine
40mg Dexamethasone
Optional are
50mg Tramadol. I usually take one before bedtime.
4mg Ondansetron. I had been taking one in the morning and one in the evening, but yesterday evening and this morning I did not even have any queasiness and I my appetite seems to be returning, so I did not take it today.

Got to head out for my blood. It is about a 5 hour process, so I have a good book.

Leif

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Leif! Thinking of you this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps yoga? Some forms are more challenging than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have been doing a yoga routine religiously for the last two years, although I have had to modify it strongly for the last two months because my spleen is so enlarged. You are right though, there are some routines that are much more challenging. I will have to look into that! Thanks for the idea.

      Delete
  3. Consider Tai Chi as well. slowwwwww good!
    How do i post silly pictures of you on this blog, Leify Green?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea. Probably the easiest way is to put in a link to imgur, or something similar.

      Delete