Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Home again.

Finally broke out of the hospital, and Becky drove me home last night. It is nice to be back home.

I have been having a real problem with nausea, not the least of which is because the inside of my nose smells bad. I can smell the chemicals from the chemotherapy through my skin, and they are not pleasant. They have a slightly sour, necrotic smell. Bleh. Despite my best efforts, I have been steadily losing weight.

I have a meeting with my primary care physician this afternoon, and I am going to try to get a prescription for medical marijuana. The anti-nausea medication that I am currently on has potential side effects like neurological damage, which makes me hesitant to use it. Pot on the other hand? Its side effect is anti-anxiety and the ability to chill. I can't believe that they don't prescribe pot first.

Becky made me some miso soup last night. After I threw up the food that I had eaten at the hospital, it went down well. There are few things that taste better when you are not feeling well than miso soup. I assume that in a few days, as the chemo drugs wear off, my appetite will return. For now, back to sleep.

6 comments:

  1. Can you get medical marijuana in Maine? I know what the answer is for Texas....oiy. I'm so sorry Leif. I know pretty nasty nausea is inevitable in chemo, but hopefully this too shall pass. Wish there were such a thing as a fat donor! I'd make a pretty good one...and I'd love to share with you! - Beth D., Texas :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can get a permit (prescription, whatever) for medical marijuana, and in fact, yesterday I did. I had to go through my primary care physician. It is weird to me that doctors are relatively quick to prescribe something like Prochlorperazine, which has the rare but possible side effect of permanent neurological damage but they are hesitant to prescribe pot, which has the side effects of boosting your appetite, reducing general pain and making it easier to chill - both of which are quite beneficial to me at this point. Luckily, I am basically the poster child for medical marijuana - cancer and not a previous user, so it was not too much of a hassle to get the prescription.

      Delete
    2. Damn. Too bad there aren't any dispensaries in the area. If only you had a source....

      Delete
  2. Just a little less deadly than the disease. That's the best we can do. Sigh. I'm sorry Leify

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that is basically the plan. I feel like I am being poisoned, and that is the idea. I do feel considerably better today, and will probably perk up a bit more over the next few. I think that I would pick pain over nausea though (at roughly equal levels). I am better at tolerating pain. Years of martial arts I suppose. :)

      Delete
  3. I agree on power of miso soup :-) Hiroko

    ReplyDelete