Saturday, May 26, 2012


Quick note from me. They have me on some drug which means that I need to pee every hour, so it has been keeping me busy. 

I have good confidence in my doctor - Dr. Connelly, in large part because she was very quick to talk to her colleagues around the country and come up with a plan. They have me on a treatment called R-hyper-CVAD, which lends itself well to the next stage - the stem cell/ bone marrow transplant. It is amazing to me that just 10 years ago, this was incurable, and now has a cure rate of better than 70%.  I think that being young, in good humor, and otherwise fit will give me about as good odds as I can get. For now I am not thinking about the long term very much. I am just taking one day at a time. There is a lot to take in and process. I have decided to just treat this not as an imposition, but just part of life. There are new things that I am doing every day, and little pleasures to enjoy. The nurses are very nice, I take a little walk every day, and I have some amazing friends.

Thank you all for you support and love.

4 comments:

  1. Leif-

    I am keeping you and Becky in my prayers. It is good to see you post and very glad you have so many kind friends around you. I can't express how sad and surprised that such a thing could happen to such good people. I am especially ashamed that I haven't been up there to visit yet and I keep meaning to. Nonetheless, you and Becky are still my good friends and if there's anything I can do to help you guys out,please let me know. In the meantime, I'm here, sending you much love from Texas (or Colorado, where I am vacationing right now). Stay safe, hopeful, and continue to be the amazing guy that you are.

    Hugs,
    Beth D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth. It is good to hear from you. Of course this took us quite by surprise, but I think that I will do just fine. You know how stubborn I can be. :)

      Becky really needs good friends like you to keep up her spirits and to be there to talk. This is at least as hard on her as it is on me. I am so glad that she has amazing friends like you to support her.

      Love, Leif

      Delete
  2. 70% cure rate woohoo! That sounds like as good a bit of news as we could hope for. If anyone deserves it bud, its you. Cant wait till you get back :)

    Love from both of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And 70% is the average cure rate. When you realize that the average age that people get this is 68, it is even more promising, as well as being athletic. Ultimate Frisbee may have saved my life:) . The doctors are pretty pleased with how I am reacting to the chemotherapy.

      I am looking forward to seeing you soon, and getting together for another episode of B&B. :)

      Delete