Sunday, May 27, 2012

Leif had another good night of sleep last night. The kitchen sent up a nice big fruit plate with his lunch that he has been appreciating. His white blood cell count today is down to 79. The doctor estimates his spleen is down to about 14 cm from about 18 cm; which is still huge, but going in the right direction. Leif's new dinosaur name is SplenomegaLeifasaurus! We are still on track for him to leave the hospital on Monday afternoon, with an outpatient visit in Belfast on Wednesday morning.

I have met with someone from the hospital who says that they've been in contact with our insurance company. I haven't been paying much attention to the financial side of things as yet, but we are fortunate that Leif does have health coverage. I have been told that because he is getting a standard therapy for a clear diagnosis, the insurance ought to be more on the straightforward side.

Posted by Becky

2 comments:

  1. Hi, This is Andrea Nichols! I just want Leif to know that I had Hodgkin's Disease and that I beat it from a stage 4 and I have been cancer free for 18 years. Having cancer is terrible. I know. And I am willing to be here for Leif if he needs to talk to a cancer survivor. Having a positive attitude and surrounding yourselves with positive people is very important. Believe that you will survive. I am praying for your family and here for you if you need me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Andrea, I had no idea. I went and got one of the Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas, but it looks like the treatments are pretty similar. I will definitely be asking you questions about your experience as I go along. Did you go through the stem-cell transplant? I will be having that in Dartmouth in about 6 months if everything goes well. I understand that the chemo that I am having now is simply to get me ready for the "major event". It is a little scary, but I am just enjoying one day at a time, keeping upbeat, and luckily surrounding with an amazing outpouring of friends.

      Delete