Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Déjà vu, with ornamentation.

A lot has happened since my last post. Becky and I spent the weekend up in Brooks. I got some trees marked for felling this coming Sunday, played some cards, and had a nice dinner at Kristen's. Other than that, I rested. I seemed to be having trouble breathing. At first I thought it was just the heat. It was in the mid 80's and I don't do well in temperatures over 70.

But, when we got to Cundy's Harbor on Monday evening, I had an acute attack of shortness of breath. I had bent down and exerted myself slightly, but I had not been able to breath bent over for the last day and a half or so, and the slight exertion seemed to put me over the edge. Even after I stood back up, I could not catch my breath. It felt as I was drowning in my bedroom. I signaled to Becky that we need to go to the hospital immediately. She asked if she should call 911. Yes. I was worried about being asphyxiated in the time that it took to get to the hospital. By the time the ambulance came, I had caught my breath, gotten dressed, and packed for an extended stay. But I was glad that the ambulance had oxygen. They put me on 3 liters, and whisked me to Midcoast, in Brunswick.

After I got there, they gave me a chest X-ray, and the lung that they had drained on Thursday was more full that before they had drained it. In fact, it was nearly completely full - pushing on my esophagus and my heart. They did an emergency drain, which contained a lot of blood. A rare complication of draining a lung is that they can hit a blood vessel (less than 1%), and lucky me, it seems as if that is what happened.

After being stabilized, they put me on an ambulance and whisked me to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center. I was given 2 units of blood to help make up for what was lost in the lung and monitored through the night. I slept pretty well all things considered.

They determined at Midcoast that not all the fluid in my lung was blood, so quite a bit of the other fluid had re-accumulated. We do not yet know what this other fluid is other than it is not infectious, and does not contain lymphoma. It is probably either a by-product of Graft vs Host Disease or Graft vs Lymphoma effect. We certainly hope that it is from Graft vs. Lymphoma effect.

At noon, they put in a tube that stays in, and drains off the fluid at the rate of 2 liters a day. I am not completely drained yet, but my breathing is better. I have this plastic tubing coming out of my back like some sort of tail dreamed up by Salvador Dali. The incision and the weight of the tube is less than comfortable. I would not suggest getting one installed, no matter the power of the fashion statement that it makes.

Becky and her mother Pam arrived this afternoon as I was getting in my tube. Pam is currently out getting me some actual food, since DHMC has some of the worst hospital food imaginable. They don't slice the tomatoes here for the salads. Just throw them in whole. And black olives? I wish.

Tomorrow, I am getting a bone marrow biopsy. This one should be under more sedation than my last. I hope that it goes well.

Anyway, not what I was planning to do this week, but that is what is going on. I will keep people updated as things progress.

Leif

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post. I've been thinking and worrying about the whole breathing thing since you posted about it. Although the food is bad I'm glad you are at DHMC bc i feel they are the most competent to deal with all you are going through. Sending you prayers and only the best of well wishes and calming healing thoughts. I think of you guys often. Sorry another bone marrow biopsy is on the horizon, but hope whatever these guys do....some good will come of it.

    Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am glad you're at Dartmouth, although getting there was less than ideal. You still have a sense of humor and that counts for a lot. I'm still thinking about y'all constantly. And don't go thinking that tail is prehensile! I guarantee it's not. Lots of love, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Ornamentation" ! I would say. Thanks for posting...I've been wondering how you were doing. Dr. C told me what was going on as we arranged your transfer. Bleah, but hoping it is the graft vs. lymphoma. You are putting up a very strong defense, and I think your eating habits are a big piece of your strength. Not to mention your brainpower and strong will. Love to you & Becky and hope you're back home in Maine soon. Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your scare and that you're back at DHMC. Sounds like the best place to be right now, what with your lungs. I'm sorry I can't see your Dali-esque tail; hopefully you'll shed it soon. Good thoughts and vibes are headed your way, and hoping it's graft v. lymphoma. We're all pulling for you down here in Texas. Love, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone. I just got back from my bone-marrow biopsy. And this time it went well. It went from the anesthesiologist saying "You might be feeling a little sleepy now", to "Alright, we are done." So, that part couldn't have gone better.

    The tail is the opposite of prehensile. posthensile? So no worries there, Karen. :)

    I am also glad to be at Dartmouth, in that I think that I get extraordinary care here. My mother-in-law Pam is here, which is wonderful, as she is taking care of both Becky and me. We don't currently have so much as a plan as a flow-chart, and will be here between 1 and 6 weeks, depending on how various things go.

    ReplyDelete