Thursday, July 18, 2013

Bone marrow biopsy

Had a meeting with Dr. Meehan this morning. We don't have a plan, so much as a flow-chart. We have to balance the negative effects of Graft vs Host Disease with positive effects of Graft vs Lymphoma Effect. But only after we know how much of the disease is in my body, and what is causing the fluid in my lungs. So I am likely to be here between 1 to 6 weeks.

I had a blood biopsy yesterday, a skin biopsy today, and I just got back from having a bone-marrow biopsy. It will take a few days to analyze the results and start to get a picture of what is going on.

They started draining my lung again about an hour ago. They don't want to take out more than 2 liters per day, unless it becomes an emergency. There are issues of damaging the lung if fluid is taken out faster than that.

My mother-in-law, Pam, is up with us here at DHMC, and staying with her sister, Prue who lives just a few miles away in Vermont. She has been in charge of fixing both Becky and me delicious food. It has been really a boon - both because the food here is so bad, and also because poor Becky has really needed some TLC as well. It has allowed Becky to just relax and hang out with me at the hospital.

So, until the test come back, we are not sure what will be next or even what therapeutic route we will be taken.

Leif

2 comments:

  1. Good food is really important. I'm happy to hear you are getting some good grub and enjoying it. Very happy you're getting the care you need at DHMC. love -- Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Pam!!! Boo more need for hospital. Yay that you're at a good hospital! (If there's gonna be need for hospital, having a good one is something to celebrate!) Hugs and love and light.

    ReplyDelete