Thursday, October 25, 2012

Rituxan today

Posted by Becky
Today will be day 5 of Leif's new chemo regimen. So far he's had few side effects from the chemo. Today he's going to get Rituxan, which he's reacted to in the past, so we have our fingers crossed. His blood counts have started going down already - he got a blood transfusion yesterday - and are expected to stay down for about 3 weeks, which is longer than any previous regimen. He will be at very high risk for infection over that period of time, so they're going to keep him in the hospital until his blood counts come back up. He can still have visitors, unless you have anything like a cough or cold, since he's susceptible to everything.

I have rented a furnished apartment in Windsor, VT - actually, a guest house on a small alpaca farm. It's quite lovely. We're looking for a secondhand futon so I can put up people who want to come visit Leif. The drawback is that it's about 25 minutes from DHMC, but the bonus is that it's near my aunt's apartment in Hartland. 

If anyone is coming to visit this weekend from the Belfast area, please get in touch with me. I'd love for someone to bring the stuff I packed (like warm clothing) for this trip when I was expecting to be back in Brooks before heading out this way. And now I have a place to put it!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like good things are happening all around -- I hope this will extend to the Rituxan, that it will go easier this time around. How nice to have your own house! Do you have Kasha with you, Becky? Is there anything you need that isn't included in what's packed in Belfast? Mittens? Hats? Tequila? love -- Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, Rhonda is Kasha-sitting. Things are unpredictable here, and I probably won't be around the apartment much. She would not be happy with all the other dogs that live here, either. What we need right now is mostly good thoughts!

      Delete
    2. Wendy, So good to hear from you. I really appreciate your comments and well-wishing. It spurs me on to keep up with the blog - that people are out there listening out there and have so much caring.

      The Rituxan went really well. It was a long session because the drip was slow, but no bad reactions - a bit of shortness of breath, but other than that, it was easy. The best thing so far is that my spleen has shrunk considerably, so it is a good treatment, and the doctors are tentatively please. We are hoping that there will be no infections during the next week or so as my neutrophils slowly bounce back.

      With love,
      Leif

      Delete
  2. Wow, VT! I remember Wendy Davis went there a lot during the summer, so I always felt it was the land of the very wealthy. Looking forward to seeing Alpacas! Sounds very you! I guess I always imagined Pru was still in NJ. But hey, to us Texans, NJ, MH, VT...it's all relative. They all fit inside Texas. (DOH!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. NJ. Please try to keep New England a separate region in your mind, you Texan! I know that we are a small area, but we are fierce. :)

      Delete