Wednesday, October 17, 2012

I managed to escape from Midcoast Hospital today. I am waiting for a room at Dartmouth, and as soon as one is available, I need to be over there ASAP to be admitted. The downside is that I do not have enough time to get back to Brooks/Belfast and see my friends before I am in for the second phase of my treatment, which will be quite a haul. On the plus side, I was able to convince my doctor that I could wait around just as well at my parents house in Cundy's Harbor as I could in the hospital. It is really nice to be out, even though it will only be for about a day.

We are likely to be able to take a somewhat leisurely drive to Dartmouth - go the scenic way, enjoy the foliage, stop for lunch, that sort of thing, unless they have a bed available first thing in the morning when we call to check on the status of a room. 

Sleepy. I keep drowsing off as I write this post. If there are some non sequiturs in here (or more than usual for that matter, that is my current issue.

Once I get to Dartmouth, I will not be starting my treatment immediately. The lead doctor there, Dr. Meehan, would like to run some tests and I need to have my port removed do to a small infection, and it will be replaced with one that can take more IV lines. This is actually good because it means that they won't have to stick me in the arm for an IV every time that they need a second line (which is usually). My veins are nicely visible, and everyone thinks that it will be easy to get a second IV started, but in actuality, my veins are full of valves, and they roll. What this boils down to is that it usually take between 3 to 4 attempts to get an IV started. And I hate needles. I have had a phobia of them ever since I can remember. 

That is it for now. I will write more in New Hampshire.

Leif

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lief!

    I heard you are admitted to the Dartmouth hospital safely, great news.

    I totally sympathize you for having needle phobia, because I had ones ever since I remember... I run around avoiding the shots when I was the kids, so deeply frightened I could not help but trying my best...but of course I got caught at the end (cry).

    My phobia got better after I had many serious dental problems and had many painful operations....then I became less frightened by needles because I have had a lot worse. lol

    I think what scares us is more like idea of needles, not the real pain of it. close your eyes and listen some music, if you could, you will be set :-) Wishing you the best, sending players to you and your family. Hiroko

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hiroko!

    Thank you for te card that you send a little while ago.I have definitely enjoyed having you as a "facebook friend", and hope that perhaps next summer, or one soon you and you husband can come up to Maine and spend some actual real time together. My in-laws have a beautiful camp right on a lovely pond and Becky and I would love to get to know you better.

    I have definitely been getting better about my needle phobia, with this constant sticking day after day. While I don't like them, I can take the little phlebotomist's needles with a ra.but when you start talking about 2 inch stainless steel needles, or 8" long nylon needles, as with this last batch, the phobic machinations start taking over my brain and run non-stop horror movies n ]in my head with great resolution and great CGI.

    Leif

    ReplyDelete