Friday, October 26, 2012

Chemo cycle done

Posted by Becky
This chemo cycle is now done. The Rituxan went okay; they took it very slowly and Leif didn't have any reaction, except a bit of shortness of breath. When he got that, they slowed the dose down for a while, it cleared up, and then they raised the dose a bit again. He also got two units of blood and one of platelets yesterday.

This chemo regimen will drop Leif's already-low blood counts, and keep them down for about three weeks. Patients therefore generally get infections on this regimen. Since Leif has been prone to infections in the past, they're going to keep him in the hospital the entire time his blood counts are low, so they can monitor him closely and treat fevers, etc. immediately.

2 comments:

  1. So glad the treatment with Rituxan went smoothly, and that Leif be where he can be monitored. I'm sure more time in the hospital is not fun for anyone, though. Happy you found a spot to stay - sounds soothing. Can't wait to see you next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to seeing you, I am sure, but oddly, I cannot work out from your message who you might be. I probably should be able to work out sbab, but because of my chemo, my brain is not as sharp as it once was.

    This is especially a problem for me when I have friends that sign in as Anonymous, as that moniker has even fewer clues. Out of respect for my enfeebled condition, please put your name in there somewhere. :) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete