Friday, July 13, 2012

Nice to be home.

It is nice to be back home. I am still recovering from the chemo, so I have been sleeping a lot. This part is actually the most fatiguing. I have had some nausea, but nothing like the previous round. I think that not even having any of that cisco hospital food in my room helped a lot. There is a distinct smell to cisco-style food.

I have had to hit my stronger pain and nausea meds over the past two days, but they are taking care of it, and I actually feel ... well, pretty good, all things considering. I wonder if I am simply getting used to feeling a little crappy, and that it has become the new normal. Whatever works, I guess. 

My last blood work came back well, so I have red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets, all at the same time for a change. This can change day by day, but for right now, it is as safe to visit me as it gets. I tend to have a harder time in the morning, but by about 1 or 2pm, I am up and about, and trying to putter on some minor project. 

Here is the color that I am going for.
Just a little darker than puce.
My project today was: To get paint for front door. I am trying to get a particular color mixed, getting all ahtsy about it. I did not quite get there today, but I got a color that is pretty close. I think that if I add a bit of red to it tomorrow, I will have the color that I am looking for. Funnily enough, the color has a name - dark puce, but trying to find it on a paint chip has been impossible. Puce in french means flea, and apparently many people do not think that it is an appealing color. Go figure. It is exactly the color of the unoxygenated blood when I get a transfusion.  I am planning to use it on my front door and on some of my outbuildings. Door first though. It is time that I got that painted, and I need to install the lock anyway, so it is a good little puttery project for the weekend. 




2 comments:

  1. I like that color. Somehow its connection to life-giving blood seems significant. Perhaps because home, true home, can be such a life-giving place.

    Glad you're home again. (And it sounds like you had lots of "home" in Brunswick, too, with friends visiting and being nourished by good food.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for these updates Leif. It's good to hear your voice and to hear how you're feeling and being taken care of. Sorry I missed this call for food, but as you say, there will be more opportunities. I just have to stay more connected. happy you're home again as well. all the best with resting, healing, and the project of the day.

    ReplyDelete