Saturday, July 7, 2012

Day 2 in the hospital. Holding up well.

I had my rituxin the other day, which is the drug that I had a bad reaction to last session. This time they had me on a slower drip. I had chills, but no rigers, so it was much better. I got through it ok. I woke up this morning feeling pretty good. I am currently on cyclephosphamide and a rescue drug for my kidneys. This is the drug that really helped shrink my spleen on the first round, so I hope that it helps with that.

I want to thank my friends for really coming through with great food. Yesterday for a late lunch I had Jean Hardy's spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and lentil salad along with carrot soup that Jackson brought over that his mom made. I ended up not having supper, as I mostly slept. They gave me a lot of benedryl to help mediate the rituxin, and that pretty much put me out, I slept through dinner and woke up quite late and had some toast and jam for a little snack. For lunch today, Linda Best came by and brought quinoa salad, potato salad, lentil soup and for desert - chocolate cupcakes that were not too sweet, but nice and moist. I ate till I was stuffed. My brother came by near dinner time and brought me good cheese and bread along with avacado and cucumber sushi. He also brough little lads popcorn to snack on, so I am pretty stuffed. My fridge is full of great food that I am looking forward to, and my appitite is good.

Thank you all for the great food. It has made my stay so much better. The dietician came by while I was eating lunch to see if she could tempt me into eating any of thier food, and when she saw what I was eating, she realized she was completely outgunned. I am eating breakfasts from the kitchen, because they actually do a decent job with that. Raisin bran and egg on toast sort of thing. Simple, but good enough. My friend Cathy is bringing me fresh quiche on monday, which always makes a good breakfast, so probably I won't even be eating the hospital breakfast anymore. Poor dietician, she does what she can.

I got unhooked from my multiple lines today at about 6pm, and got a chance to go for a little run. I did 5 flights of stairs, 4 of them doubles, and that felt great. It was a pretty good cardio workout, seeing that I am low on my hemoglobins. The physical therapy people came by today and left me some weights and exercises, so I did 2 sets with ten pounds - bench press, reverse bench press, row, shoulder lift and curls. I have lost a lot of upper body muscle, but it felt great to work it out to a light burn. Then I had a quick, but nice shower before I got hooked up again. All said, a pretty good day.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for good food! Yay for exercise! I'm so impressed that you can do as much as you can do given what your body is going through. So fun to hear about the days during which you feel pretty good, and so inspiring to hear you hanging in there with the really tough days.

    Love, love.

    ReplyDelete