Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sunday, no blood or platelets needed

One of the surgeons showed up this morning to re-pack my wound (formally, my abscess.) I took a couple of morphine pushes, but shoving cotton gauze into a raw wound still hurts like mad. Luckily, it stops hurting (mostly) as soon as the procedure is done. It still hurts a lot to stand, but not too bad sitting, and laying down, it does not hurt at all. So I can get relief from the pain whenever I need to. This is very nice, and actually makes it feel like it hurts less, because I am not trapped with the pain. This surgeon was also very nice when he bandaged it up, as he left an opening for my anus. The previous surgeon had to be reminded and then cut an opening. Surgeons, more than other doctors seem to get overly focused on their task and don't consider other aspects of what they are doing. The surgeon who lanced my abscess originally was quick to recommend procedures that were overly painful. For example he said that it ought to be repacked 4 times a day, and I told him I was not doing that, there was no way it was going to heal if I am shoving gauze into the wound that often. And he said that he wanted to make sure it stayed clean. He thought for a moment and then told me that 2x a day would be fine. Why did he not say 2x a day the first time around? I think it was because he was focused on the wound being clean and had lost sight of the wound healing.

Anyway, I got permission from my surgeon to continue walking. He thought it would aid in the healing even though it hurts. After Becky's aunt, Pru, stopped by today, Becky and I walked out to the car, and she drove me around for a while. I got to see some things that were not attached to the hospital, so that was very nice for me.

It has mostly been a relaxing day for me. I have not had to have any blood or platelets. I have to be hooked to the pole for my antibiotics, but those only take 1/2 hour to pump in. So most of my time has been off the pole.

I did have some blood in my stool this evening, and the nurse let the doctors know, but came back and said that the doctors were not too worried about it. It came from my dressing, and it will only be a problem if I get considerably more, or that it continues for a while.

I am going to take a sponge bath, which is easier than a shower now that I have two things to cover up because they can't get wet. Then I am going to go to bed early. It has been a relatively quiet and easy day, but I am still beat.

Leif

1 comment:

  1. Packin' yer ass ain't what it used to be. We're gettin' old.

    ReplyDelete