Sunday, May 5, 2013

Day 85, Thursday checkup notes

Hey, I am on a roll. Good news again. My white blood cell count is up by another 3rd and my red blood cells and platelets are approaching normal. I have about 11/15ths of the blood that I should eventually have. It is nice that I can no longer hear my pulse in my ears. When your blood is low, you can constantly hear each pulse swooshing.

I have quite the battery of test set up for next week, since the 100 day critical period is nearly done. I have a PET scan and a bone marrow biopsy. As well as blood work, doctor meetings, and IVIG (immuno-globulan), which helps boost my ability to make anti-bodies. They are going to anesthetize me for the bone-marrow again, so I am not very stressed about that.

This weekend, we have started packing, as we are moving back to Maine on the 11th. Both Becky and I are really looking forward to it. I am sure that our little dog will be glad to see us again. She has probably given up hoping by now. It has been more than 6th months since we moved to VT. I am looking forward to walks along the ocean, and being close enough to see my friends up in Belfast once in a while.

Becky has been having problems with her neck for the last month or so, and it has caused some paralysis and loss of feeling in her left hand (and she is left handed). She finally was able to see a neurologist and had a couple of MRIs this week. We were hoping that it was a pinched nerve, but it turns out to be damage to her myelin sheath around her spinal cord. The cause is not know and it is also unknown whether it will repair itself, or if it is permanent. The only good thing that the doctor was able to say is that if it does repair itself, it is likely to be a one-time fluke and not something that she has to worry about re-occurring. We wil know more when we get the results from the 2nd MRI. We both hope that it is stress related, and once we get back to Maine, and my mom can help a little with my care-giving, that it will heal up and go away.


1 comment:

  1. Whoohoo--more good Leif-news!!! It must be sooo nice not to hear your pulse in your ears. And moving back to Maine so soon--that is exciting!!!

    I'll keep my fingers crossed and my prayers in the aether that with a little less stress Becky's spinal cord, neck and left hand heal right up.

    (Good thing that moving is such a low-stress endeavor, right? Ack! At least it sounds like once you're moved there will be less stress.)

    ReplyDelete