Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Emergency room.


Rough day. I think this is one of the only times that I asked (as opposed to Becky cajoling me) to go to the hospital. A splitting headache woke me up and nausea got me out of bed. Immediately threw up, which usually helps - not just the nausea, but oddly, this particular type of headache. Today, though, it did not help at all.

I have been getting migraines over the last 4 months or so. Blazing pain behind my right eye - it feels reminiscent of having a pneumatic hammer drive a nail into the side of my head between my right ear and my eye. This headache was different. It is similar to a pounding hangover without the pounding part. Just one continuous roar of pain encompassing my entire head. It always comes with vomiting  This is the 4th time that I have had this. All of them have been after my bone marrow transplant. The first one was by far the worst. A solid 10 on the pain scale. Luckily, I was still in the hospital, where they were giving me as much pain killer as they felt like was safe, and I was still intermittently passing out from the pain. I also vomited so hard that I pulled a muscle in my jaw and injured a nerve. My bottom lip and part of the right side of my face were numb for over 2 months.

The other two instances were much less dramatic. They were around 6 on the pain scale, and I got through them at home with large doses of morphine, and the nausea mostly went away after I hurled.

Today I couldn't get my pain or nausea under control, so off to the hospital we went. Incredibly, I had a new experience at the hospital. Not the CAT scan, I have had dozens of those, but I also had the joy of a spinal tap. I thought it would be much worse than it was. However, compared to a bone-marrow biopsy, it was cakewalk. We are back now, and I am not currently in pain, but I feel very fragile and woozy. It was not my usually migraine. It was a different type of pain in a different part of my head, but it was monstrous. 9.5 on the pain scale at least. While I am not in pain currently, it feels like the pain is only momentarily pinned under a wall of fentynol.

The nausea seems to be under control though. I just had a small bowl of yogurt, and I am going to try to take my pills. Then have a little more dinner (I haven't eaten all day, of course, and my body is plowing through about 3,000 calories a day because it is working so hard on a cellular level).

None of my doctors have any idea what might be causing it. I hope that it is not going to be a chronic problem, but will vanish once I am off my medications.

I have a good book to curl up with - H.G.Well's "The Time Machine". I plan on reading for a bit and then going to sleep. Tomorrow morning has almost got to be better than this morning was. I hope everyone else's "back from a 3 day weekend monday equivalent" went better than mine.

2 comments:

  1. I hope today has been a much kinder day. Maybe hanging out in "The Time Machine" has allowed you to escape into its wonderful fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today certainly has been better. Mostly spent it sleeping. I think that I am going to spend the rest of it that way as well. I got everything thing done today that had to be done - ie. eat and take my meds.

      Delete