Saturday, April 27, 2013

More good news.


 I had my regular check-up on Thursday, and the news is good. My white blood cell count has finally started to climb. In fact it has doubled since last week. My liver and kidney function tests are completely normal. Also, we got the results of the blood chimerism test, and that shows that 90%+ of all my blood is being made by the donor cells, so the transplant is going very well.

It has been warm and sunny here, and I have been getting out more. I was sore yesterday from my hike on Mt. Ascutney. Today, my muscles feel a little stiff, but in a good way. I am going to get out this afternoon for a short hike on the flat.

My energy has been gradually improving and my brain fog has been slowly clearing. I have been having a little trouble sleeping, but since I can nap whenever I want, it is not really an issue. Some days are not productive - I expend all the energy I have doing basic tasks. Of course, just a month ago, I could not routinely do basic self-maintenance tasks - Becky had to fix me every meal and wash the dishes. Now, though, some days now are productive as I pick away at various projects that I had put on hold over the past year.

I still have months of healing to go, and the doctor carefully cautioned me that I am not out of the woods yet, but it is looking pretty darn good. I try not to worry too much about things that I can not effect, but hearing that my white blood cell counts are finally coming up, and that the chimerism is holding have taken off a weight that has been present for the last year. Infection is still a dangerous risk (my white blood cell count doesn't really help against infections because I am on immune-suppressants for the next 4-6 months). But at least it is one that I can take precautions against.

We even have a tentative date to move back to Maine - the weekend of May 11th.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, and double and triple and quadruple wow. So much good news. Definitely quite a bit still to get through, but you have made it through so much so far, against the odds (WAY against the odds). Keep doing all that you've been doing so admirably: resting, exercising, eating. I completely want to take a cue from you and do the same. Huge hugs. Amazing to imagine that you very likely will be in Maine soon--yippee!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pleasure to read such good news, despite the cautionary notes. May 11 is right around the corner. You'll be back in time for peepers and black flies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Leif! It would be awesome for you & Becky to be able to get back to the great state of Maine. I recently found your blog, and passed it on to Dr. Connelly; she was thrilled. What tremendous news. Passed it on also to your nurse fans at Midcoast...RN Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula!

    So good to hear from you. Thank you for the card. I am looking forward to seeing you and Cheryl soon. I think that you will be pleased to see that I am looking pretty human again (I have hair and no tubes sticking out of my body!). I was a sorry looking pup the last time I saw you. Say hi to all the wonderful nurses who helped keep me alive last summer. Ah, good times. :)

    Leif

    ReplyDelete