Saturday, October 12, 2013

I feel good.

I had my thoracentesis yesterday. Since Wednesday, I have had less fluid draining into my lung, so I was in much better shape than I thought I would be. Usually, I have to be pushed around in a wheelchair by this time of the week, but yesterday, I was able to walk everywhere.

And by "walking" I really mean "ambling forward". I was still struggling for air, but it was faster than going and getting a wheelchair. In fact, my doctor and I had a fairly long conversation on whether it was worth doing the draining, or whether it made sense to wait. I was not sure that I would make it all the way to Monday though, and did not want to be stuck having to come into the emergency room for it. We decided to go ahead and take off as much as we could, and if the plural effusion is slowing down, then I just get a lot longer before I need the next treatment. Plus, I get extra air all weekend.

So we went ahead and he drained 2.5 liters. Which is a lot. My follow-up x-ray showed that we had drained nearly ALL the fluid from the lung. In fact, I am a little sore because that part of my lung has not seen any air for a long long time. I can sort of feel the lung work at re-inflating with every breath I take. Yesterday was pretty much a long coughing fit, as I worked out the phlegm that had pooled down there. That was probably TMI.

Air is GREAT. I have been a little high from the extra oxygen. Also, it is fantastic that my chemo seems to be working already. I did not expect to get any real benefit for at least several treatments because my form of lymphoma is so well known not to respond to light chemo.

There are some side effects. I have been having a lot of trouble sleeping. My appetite has been suppressed, and food mostly tastes bad. My neuropathy (tingling and numbness) in my hands and feet has gotten worse, and now I have a little in my face.

And, of course, this "I feel good" is on a baseline of unbelievable crappy, but I don't care. Any improvement feels great. The way up is WAY better than the way down. It feel good to be able to breath, walk a little, and be able to do a few little things. When getting dressed for the day does not take ALL your energy for the day, it is a good day.

Leif

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for oxygen! I'm glad things are going a little better. One day at a time, right?

    ReplyDelete