Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Dr. visit and Surprise Chemo!

Met with Dr. Connelly this morning. Got a bunch of questions resolved, and got a good visual check. It is nice to have a MD look me over and get a professional appraisal of my condition. She felt that the chemo was already having an effect vs. the last time I had seen her. I sort have thought so too, even though it usually takes a week or so to kick in. It is so easy to be a little in denial and try to look at all the good signs, that I am never quite sure if I am fooling myself or not. So having her look me over and be please felt really good.

So a visit that I thought would take no more than 45 min. or so came with quite the surprise. Apparently, there were three compounding errors in the pharmacy and the notes on Bendamustine from DHMC. For this particular therapy, I am supposed to have Rituxan on day 1, Bendamustine on day 1 AND 2, and Revlimid on days 1-14. No-one at the Oncology clinic knew about the day 2 of Bendamustine. So I had it today. No harm done at all - a day doesn't make any real difference here. I am just glad that Dr. Connelly caught it, and it was only delayed by a day.

Still, it made for a long day. I expected to get out by noon, and with the pre-treatment drugs and the Bendamustine, I did not get out of there until 4. I know that when I enter a hospital, I have no expectation of my schedule, and I brought my computer, and got just as much done there as I would have anywhere. Be that as it may, "Surprise Chemo" is low on the list that one wants to hear. :)

I am still feeling better, and it is clear to me that my plural effusion is already slowing down. I am not nearly as winded today as I expected to be. I am still getting a thoracentesis on Friday, because I will not be able to hold out over the weekend, but Dr. Connelly and I both expect that I will not have to be coming in every 4 days, but it will start stretching to 6 days next time, and after only a few more draws, may likely become resolved. I can't express how much I am hoping for that outcome.

I also learned that the stuff that they take out of my lung is not just heavy in fluid, but high in protein, so Dr. Connelly insisted that I start taking protein supplements. I went for one that has both soy and whey protein, has one of the higher protein amounts per serving, and is guaranteed to "taste great". It tastes pretty industrial to me, but it is drinkable, and as medicine, not that bad. I might get used to the taste after a while. It certainly explains why I have not put on any muscle since I have gotten home though. I had been wondering about that. I try pretty hard to get back in some sort of shape after each hospital visit, and I have not made hardly any progress for more than a month.

Leif

1 comment:

  1. Sigh. I would LOVE to send some good old fashioned boredom your way, a distinct lack of dynamism and surprise, but I'm afraid that I'm not a very good source. Sending love and hugs instead.

    ReplyDelete