Friday, March 29, 2013

Day 51 - just past halfway!

I met with the doctor yesterday, and things are going as well as could be hoped. I am continuing to taper off one of the immune suppressants, and was put on penicillin as a prophylactic antibiotic. I mentioned that while I can see that I am improving week to week, it seems my progress is slow. On any given day I still experience some pain, nausea and almost always severe fatigue. He reminded me that this is a long process, and that my body is working hard.

This was driven home to me when I was weighed and discovered that I have not gained a single pound since I left the hospital. I feel like I have been eating non-stop, and I have not been skimping on the fat. I have gone through a pound of ghee, eat handfulls of nuts, lay on the butter, and spread cream cheese a quarter-inch deep on my bagels. Bowls of beans and plates of starches. I often get up at night because I am hungry and eat a cup of cottage cheese and make a sandwich. or two. or three. If I had been eating this way last year at this time I would have gained several pounds despite playing ultimate frisbee and working in the woods in the cold. And despite the fact that I am still sleeping, or at least resting for 12- 14 hours a day, I have burned off all these calories.

It is hard to believe that my body is working harder at a cellular level than I ever work it when I am healthy, but that seems to be true. At least it explains why I am so tired all the time. I am not really sure what it is doing, now that it has reached full chimerism, but whatever it is doing, it is working hard at it. When I was told that recovery takes 8 months or so before you even start to work on rebuilding the lost muscle I was pretty skeptical, but now that it is getting towards 2 months for me, and I see the glacial rate that I am improving, I realize that it is going to be a longer haul than I had hoped.

So day 50 is halfway, but halfway to what? I wish it was halfway to my recovery, but alas, no. It is halfway through my dangerous recovery period - the period when relapse, infection and host vs donor disease is the most likely. If my last bone marrow biopsy (on day 90) comes out well, then I will be transitioning from weekly visits to monthly visits around day 100. Becky and I will be able to move back to Maine, where we will be moving in with my mother for several months. I am looking forward to that, as is Becky. Having someone else help with my caregiving will be nice for her.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, and more wows. Happy half-way through the dangerous 100-days post transplant. Happy surviving what only one other person has survived. Happy hard-working body (go body!). Happy Easter. Happy Spring. Happy nordic track. Happy lessened nausea. Happy increasing energy (albeit slowly increasing). Hugs, hugs, and more hugs. Love, Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Mitch said. ;)

    Seriously, this is great news, Leif! Keep at the eating and the resting. It sounds like that's what your body needs right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed. This is uncharted territory. Your body is undergoing not just an enormous healing process, but a complete transformation from the transplant - like your getting a new hard drive and it's taking months to download everything onto it in a whole new language ( or something). May you run with it!! Or just eat and sleep for now...the fuel supply required for this process is undoubtedly huge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leif, I am so very happy to hear that you have reached full chimerism! I think of you everyday and send you and Becky lots of love and light. Big Hug! - Diantha

    ReplyDelete