Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Can-Am sled dog races.

Cancer sucks, and while I have had an interesting year, I have missed out on a lot of things that I love doing. One of the things that I missed this year is my yearly trip to help out at the Can-Am sled dog races up in  Fort Kent. In the beginning of March, Scott and I usually wrangle one or two others in going up and helping at camp Maibec, which is about as in the middle of nowhere as you can get.


Camp Maibec is in the lower left corner. The red is the trail for the 250 mile race,
so Maibec is about the half-way point. The thick yellow line is the state boundary,
so you can see there is not much else around. Portage lake, (on the lower right) is adjacent to the
town that I grew up in, and only has a pop. of about 390.

I have been going up for 6 years or so, and look forward to seeing my friends up there, the dogs, the snow, and the race in general.

The dogs and the snow. It is just gorgeous up there at that
time of year. Those are some happy dogs.

Obviously, this year, I was unable to go. Last week, I got a package from a Michaud, which puzzled me for a bit. I know several Michauds, but none from St. Albans. Anyway, I opened it up, and it contained a very nice card signed by the Maibec gang, a tee-shirt that was also signed, and some nice teas.

Me, feeling the love.
I am really touched that with all the running around that has to be done to prepare for a race like that, they remembered me, knew that I am fighting lymphoma, and sent out a care package. The support from my friends and community has warmed my heart, as I discover that my community continues to grow. I am looking forward to being up there next year. 

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Leif -
    You have a beard and a crop of hair on your head. Exciting!
    -- Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true! It is sort of funny too, that my hair is not growing back in all at the same time, but is slowly getting thicker and thicker. This has made the top of my head a weird shaggy texture. :) I had to trim my mustache for the first time last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you! Hair and all! Looking good! I bet it was very special to trim your mustache. It's the simple things, right?

    I have to tell you a funny story about that tea. Well, I think it's funny, anyway. So, you know I usually end up at Maibec for a good portion of the race. This year, that was not to be. I spent most of my time at Rocky Brook. When it was finally decided for sure that I would sweep that checkpoint and thus go straight to the finish afterward (good thing, too - I was the only vet there when the first team finished and only made it to them by about 20 minutes!), I grabbed one of the vet students that was heading to Maibec with a different group and gave her a bag of various teas as a gift/supply run for you and Scott. That's when I heard about Scott's foot (I wouldn't hear of your cancer until the finish), but I shrugged and told the student to just give it to any checkpoint worker type and that they would "get it" and that if they didn't, it was just for anyone, as I had plenty to share.

    She looked at me oddly, but agreed.

    I found out at the finish (much later than the first teams, but still at the finish) that she has given the tea to Tonya. The funny part of the story is Tonya's response. See, I wasn't quite sure if anyone other than you and Scott (or the radio guy) would truly "get it," as the tea thing is sort of our thing. But apparently my fears were unwarranted, as according to the student, Tonya immediately burst out laughing (at me) and said, "I know just what to do with this."

    Tonya told me this at the musher's banquet, too, when she specifically found me to allow me to sign your shirt and card. I'm so, so glad she did. My thoughts are with you as you continue this battle, and I can only hope that it will continue to go your way. I'm honored to have played a small part in something that brought a smile to you right now. Keep kicking cancer's ass, and I'll see you next year, okay?

    Best of luck,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, great to hear from you! I missed you last year. Great story about the tea. :) I am definitely going to kick this thing and I am looking forward to seeing you next year.

      Delete