Friday, January 25, 2013

Leaving the hospital!

It  looks as though Becky posted the good news of my lung nodes getting smaller and my vancomyacin reaction being alleviated. Yesterday, I had a meeting with my primary oncologist, and he told me that I would be going home today. I have not actually gotten out of the hospital yet, as we are waiting for some final signatures from the doctors for my painkillers.

Still, a break from the hospital! That was unexpected, and I am looking forward to it. My bone marrow transplant (or stem cell transplant - they are the same thing) is scheduled for Feb. 6th, and I need to be in for pre-treatment starting Feb. 2nd. I have a meeting with several of my doctors next Thursday, but there is a little window there to get up to Belfast for a few days. I am planning on leaving tomorrow morning, and I need to be back by Wednesday, but I am planning on getting back on Tuesday, so that I have a day where I can just sleep. I love seeing my friends, but I have needed a day to recover in the past.

This time, I am going home with the vancomyacin, which is a liquid, and hangs on a pole and drips into one of the PICC lines (one of the holes they have punched in me to get stuff directly into my blood. It is like an IV line, but more permanent and more comfortable.) So that will be a little bit strange to be doing myself, but it is not like I haven't seen the nurses do this ten thousand times. This will go along with my sitz-bath and my cupful of drugs that I take every day. Being sick takes up more time than one would think, but taking time to take care of myself - instead of letting the nurses do it all - for the chance to be out of the hospital for a while is a trade that I am more than willing to do.

Leif

1 comment: