Monday, September 24, 2012

Starting "Light" Chemo

Back in the hospital. My room number is 248, and my telephone number here is (207) 406 7248. Feel free to call anytime between 9 am and 6 pm. I will mostly be around. :)

To keep my cancer in remission, I went in today to do a "light" chemo called RICE, after the initials of the chemo drugs that are being given. Although the R stands for Rituxin, which I tend to have a reaction to (I had rigors 2 out of the last 3 times that I had the drug), so it will be given last so that it will not hold up the rest of my treatment. Which means that I am really getting ICER. Too bad. I like rice.

I put "light" in quotations because we were talking to a nurse down at the oncology department.
     she asked, "What therapy are you going in for?"
     "RICE" I said.
     "ooh, that is a tough one. " she said.
      I replied, dismayed, "I heard that it was an easy course."
     She looked at me and asked "What treatment have you been getting?"
     "HyperCVAD." I said.
     "Oh." she said, "you will find that easy then."

Was she just saying that after the fact because I was clearly dismayed by the idea that I was going in for another tough treatment, or is RICE indeed much easier to handle than HyperCVAD. Who knows. I guess I will find out.

In other news, Dr. Kelly, my surgeon, took a look at my abscess and said that it was healing up very well. I can sit in a regular chair again and it does not really hurt during the usual course of things, which is great. I am also glad to be off the antibiotics which were giving me some digestive problems and generally making me feel crappy. 

3 comments:

  1. Nice to have some words from you. Hope this arsenal of chemo is easier to take and that you are home again for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you were able to start up, talk to you soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the ICER! I hope you continue to be well fed, keep on the weight you've gained, and have no rigors or other reactions to the darned R! Thought of you this weekend naturally and will be thinking of you all week -- love and healing/strength to you.

    ReplyDelete