Monday, June 10, 2013

Trepidation 6/10 checkup

I also have a checkup at DHMC this week, but this was a follow-up on a two-part problem. I have an enlarged lymph node on my neck, as it comes into my right shoulder. I also have been having some problem with headaches and nausea. The nausea has not been too severe, but it will suddenly rise quickly, and I have projectile vomiting. So far, once I vomit, both the nausea and the headache ease off considerably, which is better than it could be. I had a checkup last week, and since then the lymph node has grown considerably.

I had an MRI today, and they are running a test on a spinal tap to check to see if this means a return of the lymphoma. There is the possibility that the lymphoma has taken up in the layer of blood vessels between my skull and my brain. My symptoms do not bode well, but we will see what the test show.  The other likely candidate - an infection - has pretty much been ruled out by the fact that I have no fever, and an earlier spinal tap showed no evidence. The headaches and nausea might be explained by my medications, but that does not account for the enlarged lymph node. It is growing faster than one would expect for a relapse, but then, I have a crazy, aggressive form of lymphoma. I am fairly concerned.

On a good note, I got up to Belfast this weekend, and while I had quite a bit of fatigue, I managed to get together with some friends for a game of cards, and later went to John's house to watch "The Hobbit" with a couple of friends. John pulled out all the stops, making a fantastic popcorn from his home grown corn, a excellent meal, and Skye provided some John's ice cream (different John). Luckily, I was mostly able to partake, although I could not have any of the beer. As John is quite the connoisseur  this was more of a hardship than it would otherwise have been. It was a great evening, and a wonderful weekend. So good to see some of my friends.

Leif

No comments:

Post a Comment